Saturday, September 16, 2006

Tulane & Philadelpia Both Wear Green

Just a few quick thoughts from "Frank Helps You Think It All Out" before I head down to Philadelphia for the Giants' game Sunday. As an Eagles' fan, I have to respect Jeremy Shockey for providing bulletin board material for us denizens of the upper level at the Linc in this charming missive: Taunts Will Bring Out The Beast In Me. I don't know about that- I'd be satisfied to simply bring out a few false start penalties.


I've heard Philadelphia is supposed to be "The City of Brotherly Love." Well, I haven't gotten a lot of brotherly love from Eagles fans the times that I have been to Philly ... and I love it! I wouldn't have it any other way. They're a rough crowd and it really gets me fired up. The louder they get, the more energy I take from them.

People ask me what it's like to go over there and take on our tough rival. Well, when I was in high school, I went to a party across town and got jumped by 17 other guys. Two of my boys joined in to help me fight our way out of there. I punched the guy who started the fight so hard in his face that I broke my hand. He fared a lot worse. You want to know what it's like to be a Giant on the Eagles' turf, that's pretty much what it's like.
In more mundane C-USA news, not surprisingly, four punters from C-USA are on the Ray Guy Award List.

I mean, let’s face it- if you want to punt, I mean really want to punt- then C-USA is the place for you. Tulane, SMU and East Carolina are all promising choices for a punter who likes his action. All jokes aside, Chris Beckman is a damn fine college kicker- and of use to a Tulane team that really needs every advantage it can get from special teams and field position. No one drafts punters- but he’ll be in a pro camp next year.

The best off-field soap opera in Tulane sports continues to be "YOGWF Under Siege". After a series of a small number of member defections- made alternately amusing and interesting by the amount of vitriol pitched on the way out- YOGWF chief "JtS" kinda flipped out a little and left this righteous rant:
What this forum has become makes me nauseous. I'm seriously considering shutting the whole thing down....

YOGWF now does more harm than good.....

I will not allow this forum to harm or degrade something I love.... And if it means shutting it down, so be it. YOGWF is only as good as the participants and right now we've lost our best.....
Come on now, you can't write stuff like "we've lost our best" unless you are talking about something like the Normandy Invasion. JtS goes on to describe the hate mail and such. I can kinda sympathize with that- as something like this charming comment is either left or e-mailed every day- frequently by my father:
tulane will lose 31-17 to ms state you once souther, yankee want to be.
Sigh, yet another reminder of why I tried so hard to avoid a public university education in the deep American South. But look, it is JtS' forum- and our Tulane community is defintely better for it- so cut out the melodramatic, cringing nonsense- it is pertinacious and hopefully not really indicative of the modern Tulane man. And guys, let me help you. For instance, the proper, American and Tulane answer to someone threatening to sue you for something you wrote is to immediately re-post the offending entry, along with the threatening missive, with an accompanying two word response: $!#* you!

And if you are going to let it get to you that much- kick people off for having the "wrong opinions", write such oh-so-maudlin entries to your own Forum- maybe the boys at YOGWF ought to cool the "The Definitive Green Wave Talk Forum" and the "Here's to the Greenbacks that never will say die..." branding?