Thursday, January 25, 2007

Trouble. Trouble. Trouble.

Lots of troublesome Tulane news in the papers lately. I mean, it isn’t bad news, or good news- it is just news that is so Tulane. For example, this is from the Times-Picayune yesterday- just the kinda recruit the yogwf loves:
Nierman started and lettered for four years at Curtis. He visited Dartmouth and Louisiana-Monroe, and he had interest from Memphis, VMI and Southern Illinois. He could play offensive guard or center.
Now Nierman clearly has made a positive life choice- attending Tulane. And this would all be great if, in fact, Tulane played Dartmouth and VMI. But we don’t. I have long advocated in this space a thesis that in the absence of all other information (which totally describes me concerning these recruits) a decent barometer of ability is what other sort of program is interested.

And here are two more for that collection. Again, I have zero clue if they can play- so I have no opinion on that- but it appears ONLY Tulane in all of I-A thinks they can. And that worries me.

Sigh, the wideout had 19 receptions. Nice. Lester is getting out at the right time. I guess one way to fill a recruiting class for sure is “offer” kids who don't have visits (i.e interest from) lined up anywhere else.

I don’t know Peter Berg- but I sort of agree with his feeling on Tulane’s exciting decision to play Division I in, wait for it, women’s bowling. Let her rip Peter:

Oh yeah women's bowling-there's asnoozefest if there ever was one. Can't wait for the big bowloff against Fairleigh Ridiculous U. Title IX was supposed to bring equity but instead it has decimated all non-revenue producing men's sports and given us women's bowling scholarships.