Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Go Bobby! Go!

I would be remiss if I did not mention the passing of Bobby Hamilton. I think most NASCAR fans have a favorite driver- say, the great Tony Stewart- but we always semi-root for the nice guys of the sport, or as McClure says of Bobby: a racer’s racer.

Bobby only won four races in the big show. I was at the last: Talladega in 1991, right after the crash that killed Earnhardt at Daytona. It was the first superspeedway event for the Cup series after the accident- and amid the hype and worry Bobby got up and got it done. I’m sure the only two people among the 160,000 present wearing “Square D” colors were in our section. There weren’t two happier guys in Alabama that afternoon- as they received their congratulations from the exiting fans.

For a racer, there is a victory in not laying your life down in the car- but at 49, well, I liked Bobby and NASCAR will miss him.