Sunday, November 13, 2005

Make It Stop

I guess I ought not write publicly "Make It Stop"- or Scott Cowen will take me up on it. Wasn't that terrible? First time in a long time that even I've been ready to call it a season. Thank Heaven we own the Owls in play-off baseball.

I hate to pick on one guy- the blame is rich and has many fathers here. But- yo Scelfo!- Matt Forte is brutal terrible. Honestly, just what does he have to do to justify not getting his fifteen touches a game? Tell me- what has to happen before everyone realizes this guy is not even a bad I-A player? He has done NOTHING since last year's Army game to justify so much involvement in the offense.

Seriously, I have been watching Tulane since 1987, and Forte is the worst skill position player to get regular touches that I can remember. Honestly, who else since 1987 reliably got 15-20 "carries plus catches" a game-and subsequently was this terrible game after game after game after game after game after game? No one. One of you Slidell people, tell me, what has to happen before even you realize he must be chained to the bench next to Ricard? Would another game-costing turnover do?

Oh- and nice to see Ray Boudreaux become the most important person our offense has produced since Shaun King. Honestly, the last five minutes- did he have to get the ball every play?

Inexcusable to have Rice hang 42 on you when the "o" plays pretty darn well- protecting the defense and its lack of depth upfront for once. Outside of Forte, who gets yet another "F", everyone played well on offense. Isn't it amazing how the o-line and wide outs and Jovon look like they belong in I-A when the qb completes 60% of his throws and refuses to commit brutal turnovers? Maybe those guys don't stink, you think? Maybe it is the quarterback and Forte getting first call on everything around here?

I'm venting of course. This team was never going to be good. But I honestly think they now have left up to 5-6 potential on the table over two campaigns by going with Lester's potential and skills last year- versus Irvin's and Elliot's actual competence. Almost every time (except Louisville) those two guys have played in sustained action, the other offensive players have spark and snap.