Saturday, October 22, 2005

Make It Right Sunday

Boy, it has been dark around here lately, no? Another Tulane loss- this time to Central Florida? The sour taste of Southern Cal’s win over the Irish oh-so-lingers. And who can forget Dallas whomping all over the Eagles seemingly weeks ago- and then a bye week to stew over it?

It has been a long time since my teams won a football game. And when things are darkest on this Blog, we remember one thing:

#5 will make it right!

Gonna be hard times for the Chargers tomorrow. Like sixty thousand other Philadelphia denizens, I am already preparing mentally for my journey- up the stairs to Section 204: getting the hate on, drinking tea to relax and soothe my cheering muscles for 1PM tomorrow.

Read this- substitute “Eagles” for “England” and “Westbrook” for “Fleet”- and you begin to feel the anxiety and emotion of game day in Philadelphia:

May the Great God, whom I worship, grant to my country and for the benefit of Europe in general, a great and glorious Victory; and may no misconduct in any one tarnish it; and may humanity after Victory be the predominant feature of the British Fleet. For myself, individually, I commit my life to Him who made me, and may His blessing light upon my endeavors for serving my Country faithfully. To Him I resign myself and the just cause which is entrusted to me to defend. Amen. Amen. Amen.
-Lord Nelson (October 1805, prayer on the eve of Trafalgar)