Sunday, December 31, 2006

Regrets, I've Had A Few

Like Trotter, Ike now knows:

Ike Reese left Philadelphia two years ago, for money but not necessarily for love. While Atlanta has been a fine place to live, and the Falcons a fine organization for which to play, Reese wants to come back to Philly. To the fanatics. To the fun.

"It's still home to me in my heart," said Reese, who will step inside Lincoln Financial Field today for the first time as a visitor, and for the first time since playing for the Eagles team that beat the Falcons in the 2004 NFC title game.

Reese is a native of Cincinnati and a resident of Atlanta, but soon he will return to the Philadelphia area for good. During a telephone interview last week, Reese said he and his wife are looking for a house in the area. That makes this game a little strange for Reese. He's playing against friends and former teammates, against a coach he reveres, and in front of fans he adores.

"Even though I don't live there now, I still have a lot of friends there," Reese said. "To live in a historical sports town with rich tradition, especially with the Eagles and Sixers, I fell in love with that, and my wife loved the city. I've always said I want to make Philadelphia my hometown.

"Then I look at Coach Reid. I've always admired Coach Reid by the way he can look into the eye of adversity and not blink. He doesn't panic when adversity arises on the ball club. Players can see that and realize the captain of the ship is going in the same direction. So I haven't been all that surprised."

Ike Reese is coming back to Philadelphia today. Soon, he'll be back for good.