Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Hello Bob!

Bob Toledo has been named head coach of our Tulane Green Wave. On this sanguine day, the Times-Picayune still took pains to slur the program in its lead sentence. Of course, Fred Robinson has seen the Green Wave 2007 quarterback situation up close- so I imagine he has good reason to temper the aforementioned optimism. Here, Fred further details the new coach:
Toledo, 60, was serving as New Mexico's assistant head coach and offensive coordinator, but his most notable coaching stop was at UCLA, where he spent eight seasons, six as the Bruins' head coach. During that six-year span, UCLA won two Pacific-10 Conference titles and had a 20-game winning streak over two seasons.
I’m pretty okay with this choice. Barring a miracle, Tulane was not going to do any better paper credential wise; I mean, two Pac-10 Championships suggests he knows more than just where the players ought to stand. And after the utter poverty of the original list- which I railed on here- Bob is a not insignificant step up in class.

Of course, the problems at Tulane extend far past "coach". But it isn’t the week to rehash that chestnut. Simply, I think Bob I a credible choice cause:

1. At the very least, he has I-A credentials past coaching up the DBs. Seriously, that original list was simply not serious.

2. Part of me likes a guy getting his second bite of the apple. I would think very few life experiences don't improve given a do-over.

3. I know zero about the guy- but he must have done something right somewhere to get the UCLA job in the first place. Rumor is he was a strong recruiter- which is one of the problems past “actual coaching” Tulane has.

This feels like a better hire that most of the other candidate ran up the flagpole. And Bob is family now!