Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Tulane Picked Fifth- and I'm Happy About It?


I am off to North Carolina and the Outer Banks for the weekend- and accordingly, I was out shopping for something to read. I settled on “Father Elijah” quickly- in order to turn my attention to more important matters. See, the first college football guides are out here in Manhattan.

Both Athlon and Sporting News pick the Wave fifth in the West- ahead of Rice. Rice must be horrid. The Sporting News also opines they are the eleventh worst team in the country (109th out of 119 total). Make of it what you will.

As to online projections, collegefootballnews.com has a somewhat more optimistic profile of Tulane up. The best part is the forecast suggesting Forte goes for 1200 yards. No ding on Forte (for once)- but no back short of Earl Campbell at Tulane is going for 1200 yards in 2006. I wager right now Tulane will not have 1200 "official" yards rushing total for the entire season- and that teams will rush for 2000+ yards against.

The Sporting News ranks Notre Dame #1. I can’t find a link- so I am borrowing this one from a fellow BlogPoll denizen:

From their point-a-minute offense to one of the top X’s and O’s coaches in the game, there little not to like about the 2006 Irish,” wrote TSN, choosing Charlie Weis’ squad over No. 2 Ohio State, No. 3 Auburn, No. 4 LSU and No. 5 West Virginia.
My fave quote:

If there is a negative in the review, it comes in the section where an anonymous opposing coach or scout evaluates the Irish. Said this individual: “Charlie Weis is arrogant as hell. I couldn’t even talk to him before the game last year. I tried to. It was a one-sided conversation…They don’t have a great team. They have a great quarterback…If Tyrone Willingham was their coach last year, they would have won eight games…The nine games they won, only three of the schools they beat finished with winning records.

Athalon has got the Irish at #2:

"Charlie Weis has got the Irish back in the national title hunt, led behind Heisman hopeful Brady Quinn at quarterback."

Consequently, may Our Lady of Victory keep all of you and Brady Quinn whole & sound. Play Like A Champion Today!