Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Big Recruiting Weekend

Little can tamp down my joy over the good news spilling out of Canada this morning. As the link suggests, "Get Ready to be Pampered Calgary Southwest". The Grits are dead! And Paul Martin is now free to take a lucrative job with Gazprom- the traditional refuge of western politicans with a taste for soulless graft.

In other good news, Tulane apparently hosted the entire high school football-playing population of Georgia and Louisiana last weekend. Campus visits were obviously out of the question in the fall- unless the recruits had their own power boats. Many commitments were nailed down.

How do I know this? Well, I get endless spam from the Tulane Insider "scout" site constantly asking me to be a member, etc. And today I got twenty e-mails from them listing each and every individual "commitment". I looked in my in-box- thinking I was much loved- and instead it was merely scout.com that loves me- and a little too much frankly. Anyway, here is the list.

I also noted that yesterday, when I first checked, almost all of those guys were "one star" recruits. Today, they are all "two star! Just one day with Coach, an afternoon under his guidance, and they're already better! Honestly, outside of the top 40 guys at each position, I doubt these services have any real clue if these guys can play I-A. But I suppose, you don't get subscribers by telling people all their recruits either suck or are hopeless.

Can these guys play? I have no idea.

One thing that is a plus (I think- but this stuff is such a crapshoot) is the commitment from Kevin Moore. I know nothing about him- other than he apparently is gigantic (6’5” 200 lbs.)- and he plays quarterback! However, stealing him away from our League’s current top program (UTEP) is gratifying. Some of the services like him a lot also- and he is in that Top 40 or so that they might have some clue about.

Last year, I wrote you cannot give kudos to any Tulane recruiting class without a quality passer in it- due to our overwhelming reliance on the spread offense- so I was kinda lukewarm about last year's class. Tulane must feed this spot every year- grooming some and playing the best. The converse is true also- any class with a real live quarterback prospect with sniffs from places like Arizona and UTEP is a solid step in the right direction. One could be optimistic.