Sunday, June 12, 2005

Owls Get Blasted

Well, it took eighteen innings- but finally the Rice Owls were formally introduced to the Green Wave bats- and they took it on the chin late- dropping a 7-0 decision to the Wave. Of course, the big story is Micah Owings 3-hit shut out. I have been on Micah some this year- wondering when the all-American would show up in a big spot? Uhm... Micah? The Super Regional was just fine. Just fine indeed. His reward- his picture on the Blog exulting over his mastery of the Owls:



Tomorrow we get Rice's Eddie Degerman (8-1, 3.07 ERA) vs JR Crowel (10-1, 5.15 ERA).

Yes- kinda scary. Off the top of my head, the last I remember Crowel was that sketchy 4+ innings vs. UAB to kick-off the C-USA tournament. I don't think we've seen him since as a result. But he is a veteran, so they might beat him- but I imagine not because he blinks.

Crowel hasn't pitched in awhile either. But the 'pen is rested, so I imagine they are only asking for 12-15 outs from the junior.

Degerman for Rice. I know nothing about him- but his line features a whole lotta walks per innings pitched.

This game feels like a big number: 11-9, 12-7- that sort of thing. The Wave is going to have to hit tomorrow to advance.